Re: XDMCP and client requirements

Rob Weir wrote:

Could you setup the box to log to another machine using syslog-over-TCP?
This'd tell you if/when the kernel goes nuts.  Also, recent 2.4 kernels
(at least) start nuking things when memory gets tight.

That said, 32MB should be enough to run an X server...that's more RAM
than most Unix workstations wuold have had 15 years ago.  I *think* it's
possible to run swap over NFS or such, but I'd say it'd be pretty hacky,
at best :)

I've done another experiment: I switched to using IceWM instead of KDE. I thought I had the problem licked last night, but when I came back to the machine this morning, it was frozen. All I had going was the IceWM desktop.

Another variable, just in case it will shed any light: I'm using a USB ethernet adapter (Linksys USB100M; very small). I've heard in the past of problems with USB ethernet adapters disconnecting and causing problems, but even when I was running the locally installed image it never froze like this.

--
Bobman