Help with Realtek ALC650 sound

 Hi,
I upgraded my m/b to an Epox 8K5A2 with the Via KT333 chipset but including the VT8235 Southbridge (normally part of the KT400) with a RealTek ALC650 Codec (AC97).

Realtek's website includes driver source for the Alsa-0.9.0rc5 (alcsound.tar.bz2). I'm running the 2.4.20-k7 kernel. Initially I downloaded the deb source and then the source from kernel.org. Both times I placed the kernel source in /usr/local/src and left the driver in ~/alsa-driver-0.9.0rc5. When I attempt to compile (./configure) it I get an error "The file /usr/local/src/linux-2.4.20/include/linux/version.h does not exist" - nor does it. There is a version.h in ~/alsa-driver-0.9.0rc5/alsa-kernel/include

At one time I thought of building my own kernel and find /usr/include/linux contains version.h showing a #define UTS_RELEASE "2.4.19" - I'm not clear on what to do about that. I did install the kernel-package.

From comments I have seen elsewhere alsa-modules-2.4.20 contains support for the ALC650. Whilst it is not available as a deb, is this available somewhere else?

Is any AC97 compliant codec covered by any AC97 driver?

I don't make much use of sound but would like to get it working.

Any suggestions as how best to proceed would be very welcome.

Tim