Re: default permissions on /root

On Fri, 28 Feb 2003, Bob Proulx wrote:

> > Sorry, made a boo-boo when I wrote that.
> > I meant to ask why were the default
> > permissions *NOT* set to 700 on a clean
> > install?

> There is no sensitive files installed in /root.  There really is no
> reason not to make it 755.  Everyone knows what is in /root.  It is
> not a secret.

oh?  what do i have in my /root directories then?

> However, if you place sensitive files there then you might choose to
> make that directory more restrictive.  I advise putting sensitive
> files elsewhere, however.  But it is your system and your choice.  You
> can modify the system as you see fit.

where is a more appropriate location for files only to be seen or
used by the root user than his home directory?

> Remember that root is not a real user.  You should not be using root
> to do nonadministrative work on the machine.  Use a real user account
> for that.

yes, i'm well aware of that.  and i don't use the root account
for "nonadministrative work".  i use it solely for "administrative
work", and henceforth, have files in /root not intended for the
general public.  i stores script under /root that are run from
crontab, and various other files.

i guess i wrongly assumed that a distribution that's usually
somewhat sane would have somewhat sane permissions on a directory
such as /root, which i consider "sensitive", so to speak.

*shrug*

j.

--
Jeremy L. Gaddis