Re: default permissions on /root

On Fri, Feb 28, 2003 at 01:39:51PM -0500, Jeremy Gaddis wrote:
> i guess i wrongly assumed that a distribution that's usually
> somewhat sane would have somewhat sane permissions on a directory
> such as /root, which i consider "sensitive", so to speak.

This topic comes up fairly regularly.  On Debian lists and elsewhere.
Somebody just recently posted a similar complaint about NetBSD on one of
their lists.

The thing is, nobody has ever offered a compelling reason for changing
the default.  By default there's certainly nothing secret in that
directory.  You're certainly free chmod it.

Personally, I don't see why you'd need to keep anything in that
directory at all.  Scripts and things like that should go in
/usr/local/{bin|sbin} or some other easily deduced, fairly standard
location to make life easier on the next guy in the event that you end
up passing admin duties on to somebody else.

noah