Re: Debian security support for older versions

On Fri, Feb 28, 2003 at 11:48:28AM +0200, Johann Spies wrote:
> The article "New Linux support policies are ominous" by Jon Lasser,
> Security Focus Online at
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/61/29330.html is disturbing. It
> highlights new support policies from Mandrake and Redhat that is bad
> for the reputation of Linux in the industry.  There is also a
> reference to Debian in it which underline the author's concern.

This article has already been discussed on debian-security (IIRC).
Note that the author's comments refer to the release of potato, not
woody.

I notice the author doesn't lambast Microsoft and other commercial
vendors for not supported outdated versions of their software.  I
wonder why not?

> What exactly is Debian's policy regarding security support for older
> versions?  I know there is still support for potato, but for how long?

Again IIRC (I'm too lazy to look it up; feel free to do the
research) debian has said they will support potato for one year, which
is until July 2003.

> What are the opinions of users of this list about the issue?

1) Using old[1] software is probably not the best security stance.

2) debian upgrades are relatively painless[2], especially compared to
other distributions.  Thus the cost of upgrading is diminished.

3) I see a commercial opportunity for third parties here.  If there
really is a massive demand for support of old RedHat/Mandrake/SuSE/
debian/whatever releases, someone should download the source, start
backporting bugfixes, determine a suitable fee, and advertise their
service.  If people would rather upgrade than pay ... well, I guess
that upgrade wasn't so expensive after all, was it?

Note that it is impossible for third parties to support old software
that is not open source.

[1] old as in ancient, as opposed to old as in stable[3]

[2] If there is pain, it is almost always documented!  RTFM of course.

[3] as in debian stable :-)

  We're sysadmins. To us, data is a protocol-overhead.