Re: Using one mailbox at ISP for many people

On Fri, 2003-02-28 at 15:45, Jonathan Matthews wrote:
> Hi all
>
> [BRIEF SUMMARY - How do I segregate one mail stream from one mailbox
> at my ISP into different users locally?]
>
> At the moment, I'm the only person using my machine.  However, having
> installed the GNOME 2.2 backport, I've finally got a desktop that I feel
> happy in sitting my SO down in front of and not worrying that she'll
> find it so confusing that she runs screaming from the room.  Yes, she's
> not the most technical of sorts, but she tries hard :-)
>
> I'm trying to set her up using, for the sake of simplicity and general
> "nicely-integrated" reasons, balsa as her MUA.
>
> She's been using mail.com for a web-based account for a while, but it
> sucks (slow AND featureless).  I'd like to get her up and running with
> my machine, and using my email ISP.
>
> I receive all email to <anything>@jaycee.uklinux.net.  I'd like her to
> have a specific one at that domain.  For the benefit of any
> bottom-feeders harvesting the archives, let's say she's going to get
> spammenow@jaycee.uklinux.net. :-)
>
> The problem is that I get only one actual physical mailbox at
> uklinux.net, and all email to @jaycee.uklinux.net gets delivered to it.
> The username it's sent to /is/ preserved in the headers, however.
>
> What combination of programs do I use to get one mailbox successfully
> segregated when it hits my machine?  I'm using fetchmail -> exim ->
> procmail at the moment, but I've lurked on the procmail list long enough
> not to ask about using it as a MDA (or is it an MTA that it shouldn't
> be treated as?).

You can configure exim with jaycee.uklinux.net as the domain name to
automatically route the emails to <whatever>@jaycee.uklinux.net as long
as <whatever> is a valid local user. You can also set it up to redirect
all email to non-local user somewhere else.

The problem that you are going face with this is that you wont know who
a particular email is addressed to if the bcc: you since mail envelope
is removed after delivery.

Most mailing lists posts would not have a valid email address for exim
to filter on based on the To: CC: address.

There might be other disadavantages with this that I am not aware of. I
did this a while ago and apart from some annoyances with it not
delivering the bcc:'d emails properly, it was ok.

There is a page on the internet somewhere which states all the
disadvantages of this scheme but I unforunately dont have the link
anymore.

HTH,

Shri

Shri Shrikumar             U R Byte Solutions
I.T. Consultant            Edinburgh, Scotland     Tel: (0131) 558 9990
Email: shri@urbyte.com                             Web: www.urbyte.com