Debian security support for older versions

The article "New Linux support policies are ominous" by Jon Lasser,
Security Focus Online at
http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/61/29330.html is disturbing. It
highlights new support policies from Mandrake and Redhat that is bad
for the reputation of Linux in the industry.  There is also a
reference to Debian in it which underline the author's concern.

What exactly is Debian's policy regarding security support for older
versions?  I know there is still support for potato, but for how long?

What are the opinions of users of this list about the issue?

Regards.
Johann
--
Johann Spies          Telefoon: 021-808 4036

     "These things have I written unto you that believe on
      the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye
      have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name
      of the Son of God."        I John 5:13