Re: Ethernet startup problems

    "Michael" == Michael Rudmin <mike_rudmin@yahoo.com> writes:

    Michael>    Problem is, after that point, my ethernet doesn't work
    Michael> [RTL8139].  Looking at the syslog, I now no longer see
    Michael> ethernet even mentioned during the startup.

    Michael>    Going over to modprobe -c, I again don't see it.  So
    Michael> [I'm sure this will seem to be a stupid question] how do
    Michael> I reinstall that module?

I do not know what version kernel you are using, but try doing a
'modprobe 8139too' or 'modprobe rtl8139' to see if eth0 is
recognized. If it is, an 'ifup eth0' should bring up your
network. Then add the module name to /etc/modules.

It is possible that the module file, the /etc/modules file or some
combination of them were destroyed during the hard lock up you
described. Or, more likely, you just made a small error along the way :-)

Cheers!
Shyamal