Re: FreeS/WAN on PPPOE

Curtis Vaughan, Wed, Feb 26, 2003 at 10:49:49AM -0800:
> Has anyone had similar problems?
>
> Out DSL connection is through a PPPOE connect, unfortunately. Although
> setting up multiple VPNs has generally been no problem, this time for
> this office it has been a pain. The only reason we can think of now is
> because this is first time we've dealt with a PPPOE connection. Has
> anyone experienced similar problems? If so, were you able to overcome
> it? Or, perhaps this isn't the problem at all.

Two possibilities:

1.  Firewall/Gateway does not support VPN-passthru.  Some older models of
home routers can have problems.

2.  The MTU is set to high for PPPOE.  The MTU for PPPOE is less than
1500, which is the default MTU for most connections.  Change the MTU on
the server side to 1400 and see if that works.

What type of VPN are you using?