Re: Ethernet startup problems

On Wed, Feb 26, 2003 at 07:20:39AM -0800, Michael Rudmin wrote:
>    Problem is, after that point, my ethernet doesn't
> work [RTL8139].  Looking at the syslog, I now no
> longer see ethernet even mentioned during the startup.
>

>    Going over to modprobe -c, I again don't see it.
> So [I'm sure this will seem to be a stupid question]
> how do I reinstall that module?

how about

# modprobe rtl8139
or
# modprobe 8139too

if either of those work, put the module name in /etc/modules, and
you should be set.  if not, i would guess that you inadvertantly
deleted the module or mucked your kernel install.  also, hopefully
this isn't the case, but from my own personal experience rtl8139
based chipsets are really, really, flaky...

>    Also, how do I know what else has been blown to
> pieces by this apparent crash?

generally, try to use it, if it doesn't work it's probably broken :)

	sean