Mouse not working in GPM or X

I installed XFree86 -configure and it tells me that it can't find my mouse. So I installed gpm. When gpm is running and I move around the mouse, I don't get a curser, I get a white line on the top of the screen and a bunch of new lines as if I kept hitting enter. I replaced the mouse with another PS2 mouse and got the same result it is a MS IntelliMouse. I am using the kernel that came with the default 1.44 floppy install v3.0.

Any suggestions, questions, comments, or rude remarks would be very helpful.

- Rowland