Re: Mouse not working in GPM or X

Rowland Darbin wrote:

I installed XFree86 -configure and it tells me that it can't find my mouse. So I installed gpm. When gpm is running and I move around the mouse, I don't get a curser, I get a white line on the top of the screen and a bunch of new lines as if I kept hitting enter. I replaced the mouse with another PS2 mouse and got the same result it is a MS IntelliMouse. I am using the kernel that came with the default 1.44 floppy install v3.0.

Any suggestions, questions, comments, or rude remarks would be very helpful.

- Rowland

Sounds like you have the wrong protocol in gpm. Run "gpmconfig", and when it asks for protocol, I think you can type "help" to see a list of possibiities. As a general rule "ps2" for ps2 mice, "imps/2" for ps2 mice with scroll wheels, and "fups2" for ps2 mice that don't work with the standard ps2 protocols. Do all of this outside of X, and once the mouse works in the text-based console via gpm, make sure gpm is set to repeat the data as "raw", and make sure X is configured to use /dev/gpmdata as the location of its mouse, and make sure X has the same protocol as gpm.

Kent