Re: Newbie administrator

At 02:45 PM 2/26/03 -0500, you wrote:
On Wed, 26 Feb 2003, Phil wrote:

> I am running the only Debian server in the NYC Dept. of Education.
> 1. running Samba correctly (is there a way to hide the configuration files
> in the home directory?)

I ended up just deleting those files, as I don't have users able to log in
locally anyways.  I'm sure there's a better way to do it though.

> 3.  running NFS & NIS - here is the problem
> I set up all users on the server with user directories in /home (of course)
> with the /home directory exported "rw".  on the client machines (SuSE
> because it is so easy to install and configure) I have the /home directory
> mounted to the server.  the logon screen shows all the users and it works
> well  the problem is my lack of knowledge about how to set-up
> permissions.  My users log into their /home directories but can view the
> /home directories of others.  how can I correct this?

Set the permissions of each directory so that only the user can access it.

drwx------   15 mdresser mdresser     4096 Feb  3 14:47 mdresser

Like so.

The command to do that is chmod, man chmod should get you started.  in
this case, chmod 700 is what I did.

I think this should work, anyways :)
do I have to do this individually for each user? (all 120 of them) is there a way to do this in the skel directory in. the future