installation

I'm trying to install debian onto its own hard drive which has been formatted and is ready for the installation, however i'm not quite sure which files i actually need to install, and there's so many on the website, i downloaded the .iso file for the i386, and wrote it to CD, but when i tried to boot from the CD it wasn't recognised as a boot CD by my computer, so could you help me with that please?
 And also would you be able to tell me exactly what files i need to download from the info i gave above please?

PC spec:

800mhz AMDAthlon
1 x 40gb drive running windows 2000 pro
1 x 20gb drive blank
384mb SDRAM

Thanks!

James

Send music and picture to your friends with MSN Messenger. Download it FREE here.