vim and gqip spaces after periods

Can someone tell me how to make vim, when reformatting
text that includes periods with gqip, not put two spaces
after the period?
It seems to do this when the period is
at the end of the line. Happens for queston marks too.
Like if I copy and gqip this paragraph, I get the below:

|  Can someone tell me how to make vim, when reformatting text that
|  includes periods with gqip, not put two spaces after the period?  It
|  seems to do this when the period is at the end of the line. Happens for
|  queston marks too.  Like if I copy and gqip this paragraph, I get the
|  below:

I'm not looking for another thread of the typography theory behind two
spaces really. I just find it annoying that after gqip some sentences --
those at EOL -- get two spaces, whole the rest get only the one I enter
myself. It's inconsistent and ugly.

--
see shy jo