Re: cache for packages

on Thu, Feb 20, 2003 at 04:43:02PM +1000, Alan E. Davis (adavis@saipan.com) wrote:
> I have four or five machines running linux on our local network.  Can
> someone point me to the easy instructions for setting up a cache of
> packages on one system, so that if packages are already on a local
> machine, they won't be ftped again?
>
> It's a tribute to Debian GNU/Linux that, running sid on these
> machines, which were disconnected for some six to seven months, three
> so far have upgraded without a single major problem using apt-get and
> aptitude.  Aptitude has worked, when apt-get didn't.  Thanks to
> everyone from a long time use, who never "got it" as far as developing
> packages. (Too busy teaching and doing science).

Please set your mailer/editor linewrap to 68-75 characters.  I strongly
recommend 72 as a good default.

In addition to apt-proxy, if you're interested in caching general web
traffic (noting that this may result in problems on some websites),
squid can be useful.  You'll have to tune the cache to include larger
files to be useful with apt-get updates.

Peace.

   Verio webhosting?  Guaranteed downtime:
     http://www.dowethics.com/r/environment/freedom.html