Re: Newbie bull brings own china shop.

On Tue, Feb 25, 2003 at 09:39:03AM -0500, sean finney wrote:
> heya,
>
> On Tue, Feb 25, 2003 at 07:25:20PM +0700, Brian Durant wrote:
> > /dev/hda7    reiserfs    9.29 GB    (mount point) /
> >
> > /dev/hda5    ext2        15.1 MB    /boot
> >
> > shmfs           shm         57.9 MB    /dev/shm
>
> from my own experience, if you have the time i'd recommend splitting
> that up a bit more.  debian likes having big /var directories, so i'd
> recommend shaving half a gig off of / and making a /var, also maybe
> have /home separate too, so over ambitious downloading doesn't
> bring the system to it's knees.

Look here:

  http://kmself.home.netcom.com/Linux/FAQs/partition.html

Also, if you're going to keep shmfs (or tmpfs in the newer 2.4
kernels, I'd keep it if you have plenty of RAM) you can use a neat
trick to mount /tmp over /dev/shm using a bind mount.  For example, I
have a server with 2G RAM; here are the relevant entries from
/etc/fstab:

  tmpfs       /dev/shm    tmpfs   size=768M,nr_inodes=65536   0   0
  /dev/shm    /tmp        none    rw,bind                     0   0

HTH,

  Warning: dates in calendar are closer than they appear.