Re: ATI Rage 128

On Tue, 2003-02-25 at 20:44, Daniel L. Miller wrote:
> I'm encountering a few problems with this product - on two different
> machines (with the same kind of video card)
>
> In MODCONF, there's an option for framebuffers.  If I choose to install
> the Rage 128 - my screen goes "nuts".  If I memorized the keystrokes, I
> can remove the framebuffer module and get my display back - otherwise
> it's reinstall time.

You can deactivate the framebuffer passing the appropriate boot
arguments to the kernel (hit shift in lilo, and type something like
"(Name of the boot image) video=vga".  I'm not sure about the boot
parameters, though; read the kernel documentation found in
Documentation/fb.

> Why is this happening to me - and do I need/want the framebuffer module
> anyway?

Only if you want the console to be displayed in graphic mode.  I don't
like it.  YMMV.

Aaron Isotton                              [ http://www.isotton.com ]
--
Love to eat them mousies,