.bkf files from Windows 2000/XP, and how to read them in Debian

Supposing I had a .bkf file from a Win2000/XP backup, and wanted to be
able to extract files from it in Linux, how would I go about this?

Just looking at the file, it looks similar to a tar file, but of course
it's not.

Supposedly it's Veritas Backup Exec that is bundled with W2k.

I use smbtar to backup win9x machines over the network, and am able to
restore them properly just from the tarball and a copy of fdisk/format,
but w2k images won't work that way, so I'm looking at reversing it to W2k
putting the image on the server instead.

Had to use the smbtar method, because the task scheduler in Win9x depends
on the phase of the moon far too much for my liking.

Mike