Re: About to go all Deb

On Tuesday 25 Feb 2003 4:19 pm, Mario Vukelic wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-02-25 at 16:24, John Anderson wrote:
> > Any way to cut a long story short I have come up with the following, and
> > would appreciate thoughts and guidence.
>
> I have long had multiple partitions too, but over time realized it's a
> waste of space or time on a desktop. On a server it sure is a good
> thing. I now have /boot 100 MB, / 30 GB (too big, but able to compile
> mozilla and openoffice.org and enough for a long time :), and /home (for
> backup/reinstall convenience) 90GB, Swap 1 GB (because it doesn't
> matter)

This machine could well end up being a server, I want to learn a lot more
before that happens though :-)

> > /boot		20meg
>
> Too small if you're into testing lots of different kernel sources,
> otherwise ok. Would make it 50 though just to be on the save side

I will most probably leave this as part of /

> > /		4gig
>
> ???? If you have /home, /var, /usr and /tmp on their own partitions, you
> won't need more than 100 MB for /. I've checked with du -ch:
>
> Dir	Size for me [MB]
> /bin	5
> /dev	0 (run devfs, is a virtual fs)
> /etc	14
> /lib	16
> /proc	0, virtual
> /root	2.8 (config files, should be smaller since most are from X apps)
> /sbin	4.6
>
> No big dirs. You should also consider making /opt a link to /usr/opt if
> some package should need it

I now have a better understanding, and will probably go for 300meg

> > /var		8gig
>
> ??? Are you a news server? Generally, /var on its own partition is a
> hassle, you either waste space most of the time, or run out of space
> when dist-upgrading the whole distro (downloaded packages go there).
> I have found 500 MB enough, but even this is too much most of the time.
> I currently have 131 MB in /var, but I use mailspools in $HOME

I think I will end up with 1gig

> > /tmp		2gig
>
> Again a hassle, mostly you waste space, but then there is this odd print
> job or reaaaaallly big image in gimp. Again, why bother?

Well I recently tried out Mondo, and it filed the / partition and killed the
machine it was using /tmp, probably due to new stupid user (me) however I
don't want that to ever happen again, so will most likely end up with say 2
Cd's worth or 1.5gig

> > /usr		5gig
>
> OK
>
> > /swap	??? 750meg ram, and from what I have read it should equal the ram
> > up to 256meg
>
> Difficult to say. In the beginning of kernel 2.4, the original vm wanted
> RAM x 2 for swap, but most non-kernel people found out only when the
> discussions around the different vm implementations and ripping out the
> old vm boiled up. I was recently able to fill 256 RAM and 500 swap
> easily when I ran 2 different gnome dev versions complete with memory
> leaks for 2 users on 2 displays simultaniously.
> Personally I have settled on the "what the heck, disk is cheap" approach
> and now run 512 RAM + 1 GB swap.

Sounds a reasonable approach, I will need to do a lot more reading before I
make a final decision on swap.

> > /home	what ever is left
>
> I'd say as much as possible without sacrificing proper system function.
> Isn't running a system about doing stuff as user? (I know, not for
> everybody, but still)

:-)

Thanks for the input, gives me lots to consider.

--
Regards
John