Re: cdrecord image

On Mon, Feb 24, 2003 at 01:32:45PM -0800, Curtis Vaughan wrote:
> Well, just issuing a command like:
> cdrecord -dev=0,0,0 -v - cdimage.iso

That's because you have the "-" in there that tells cdrecord to try to
read an image from standard input as the first track or session. Since
you're trying to burn an image, you don't want that. You just want
"cdrecord -dev=0,0,0 -v cdimage.iso".

> Now, I'm assuming when you say to issue the command:
> mkisofs -R -J -o cdimage.iso /directory
>
> that /directory in this case is where the cdrom is mounted? or what?

/directory is the directory containing the files you want to put on the
CD. cdimage.iso will be an ISO9660 filesystem that looks just like
/directory does (or as close as possible).

> Anyhow, I tried to do the following:
> mkisofs -R -J -o cdimage.iso | cdrecord dev=0,0,0 -v -

This tells mkisofs to create an ISO image as a file named cdimage.iso,
and then all the diagnostic output mkisofs produces ends up being piped
in to cdrecord. That is, of course, not what you want.

I strongly recommend that you read the CD-Writing HOWTO, there is a
section that summarizes the most basic use of mkisofs and cdrecord. If
you don't have a copy, you can find it on http://www.tldp.org/.

--
Michael Heironimus