Re: man -k apropos --> nothing apropiate

On Mon, Feb 24, 2003 at 03:02:13PM -0800, Peter Hicks wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 24, 2003 at 09:53:21PM +0100, Drag?n wrote:
> >  I don't know if it happens to you.
> >
> >  But in my woody `apropos' and `man -k' don't work.
> >
> >  Does anybody know anything about that?
>
> It sounds like your pre-formatted man pages have not been generated
> via catman. There is a cron job in /etc/cron.daily called man-db which
> will generate them, or man catman will give more info.

To clarify, catman generates pre-formatted cat pages which can speed up
reading man pages (although pre-formatting *all* of them takes up a lot
of disk space for arguably little gain) but these are not necessary to
make apropos work. mandb builds a database independent of cat pages
which apropos later reads.