Re: Two keyboard layouts qwerty and russian ??

>From Nils-Erik Svangård on Monday, 2003-02-24 at 12:28:52 +0100:
> Hi!
>
> I'm helping a teacher getting his debian installation working.
> There is two things I couldnt solve for him, I thought that maybe
> someone knows how to fix it:
>
> * Switching between swedish and russian keyboard in X (the same keyboard
> just changing layout)

As Colin said, "setxkbmap ru" should do the job.

The list of available keyboards is given in /etc/X11/xkb/symbols.

> * When using the russian keyboard, producing russian charactars.

An important first step is to have the appropriate locales installed.
If I look in my woody setup under /usr/share/i18n/SUPPORTED,
I find the following possibilities.

ru_RU ISO-8859-5
ru_RU.UTF-8 UTF-8
ru_RU.KOI8-R KOI8-R

These locales would be installed under /usr/share/locale/ru,
which should exist.  If you have any doubt, simply run

dpkg-reconfigure locales

and make sure that Russian is selected.

> Is this possible? Is it possible to have two diffrent charactersets in
> one document?

I suspect it should work.  I regularly mix Swedish, Norwegian, German,
and French character sets, but these all belong to the same category,
namely ISO-8859-1.  I have defined aliases such as

alias ru="setxkbmap ru"
alias se="setxkbmap se"

to make my life easier.  You may also want to look into using the
packages

kde-i18n-ru
kde-i18n-se

That support Russian and Swedish unde KDE.  These give you a whole
menu-structure in Russian or Swedish.  If things are not working
out for you, try using these.

Conrad