login by ssh fails

Hello again,

- AMD athlon 1300		was	Pentium 2
- Soltek mainboard	was	<unknown>
- old HDD
- old ram

I couldn't boot anymore...3 beeps, 2 beeps, 1 beep and that's it...No
picture, nothing so that's why I bought a new one. The move went fine except
one thing

When I connect a monitor and a keyboard to the server direct I can login.
But I want to use PuTTY for an SSH remote login. PuTTY setup a connection.
When I want to give a username, doesn't matter what kind of user, PuTTY
exits.

What's going wrong? Has the old mainboard destroyed some config files?

I can ping, write to the server by samba, apache, squid al works fine except
a remote logine.

Kind regards,

Willem-Jan Meijer

<-- Alle inkomende en uitgaande e-mail worden gescand op virussen  -->
<-- All incoming and outgoing e-mail is scanned for virusses -->