Re: login by ssh fails

Hello Willem-Jan,

This is a generic problem you describe, but I'll try to (at least) give
you some directions on where to look for the source of that problem...

I have here two scenarios, one where the sshd daemon works fine
(scenario 1) and one where sshd doesn't work (scenario 2). I'm sorry if
that sounds a bit huh.. pedantic, that's not my intention; I'm trying to
be as clear as possible. So here we go....

Let's assume that the computer where you connect FROM is called A, and
the one where you connect TO via ssh is called B.

SCENARIO 1:
The way I see things, putty is responsible of the error. You did not
mention if Putty sent you any error messages, so I'm assuming a lot of
stuff here. Check out if the connection has been accepted on the server
(PC B) by browsing throught /var/log/auth.log .

Here's an extract of my /var/log/auth.log .. oslo is the server
(192.168.0.100) and helsinki is the PC I connect from (192.168.0.1).

Feb 24 18:42:04 oslo sshd2[605]: connection from "192.168.0.1"
Feb 24 18:42:06 oslo sshd2[9390]: Public key
/home/devsys/.ssh2/RemoteKeys/933-devsys.pub used.
Feb 24 18:42:06 oslo sshd2[9390]: Public key authentication for user
devsys accepted.
Feb 24 18:42:06 oslo sshd2[9390]: User devsys, coming from helsinki,
authenticated.

I realise I don't tell you exactly WHAT is the problem, but at least I
help you find what is NOT the problem ... :)

OK now, for Scenario 2, a malfunctionning SSHD...

SCENARIO 2:
Another reason why you might not be able to connect could be that the
ssh daemon on the remote computer isn't up (functioning).

There are two ways to setup a sshd: as a daemon, or throught tcpwrapper
(inetd). If sshd is started as a daemon, try (on the remote computer) ps
-fe | grep ssh .. if nothing appears, the daemon is most likely not
started.

If the daemon is started throught inetd, a line like the following
should appear in /etc/inetd.conf :

ssh	stream	tcp	nowait	root	/usr/bin/tcpd $LOCATION/sshd

(where $LOCATION is of course WHERE the daemon is located).

OK, I might have told you the obvious, otherwise I hope I helped you !

Good luck,

Jeff