Re: Mail server

On Mon, 24 Feb 2003, nate wrote:

> Maarten Vink said:
>
> > I totally agree with Russel; disk speed is probably the most important
> > limiting factor, not CPU speed or diskspace.
>
> my home server is a p3-800 1GB ram, dual 100GB WD special edition(8MB)
> drives in raid1, with spamassasin+sanitizer only it takes an average of 3-5
> seconds to deliver 1 message. If i had amavis+sophos running that would
> add another 2 seconds on top of it I think. Messages can take much
> longer if they are real big. My IMAP back end is cyrus 1.5 which
> is lightning fast.

Dual p3-600 here, 512 meg memory, four 40 gig Maxtor D740X-6L's in a pair
of raid1's, one set for system, one for /var/spool/, using a 3ware 7500-4.

Handles ~90 users and 20,000 emails a week.(mostly to my email box as
well)

Load average is around 0.4 most of the time while handling 2 gig in mbox
format via pop3.

Very quick and responsive.  User complaints about speed turn out to be
their Windows workstations acting up or their DNS settings being wrong.

It's definately disk speed bound at this point, the server could
still handle 10x the users or 10x the mail spool.

Mike