Re: Mail server

Maarten Vink said:

> I totally agree with Russel; disk speed is probably the most important
> limiting factor, not CPU speed or diskspace.

if all your doing is email then disk speed is most important, cpu
and ram can become very important when running spamassassin, and virus
scanning though.

my home server is a p3-800 1GB ram, dual 100GB WD special edition(8MB)
drives in raid1, with spamassasin+sanitizer only it takes an average of 3-5
seconds to deliver 1 message. If i had amavis+sophos running that would
add another 2 seconds on top of it I think. Messages can take much
longer if they are real big. My IMAP back end is cyrus 1.5 which
is lightning fast.

one time when my nscd was hosed, postfix had a backlog of about 200
emails, once I fixed it my load shot to about 150 for a few minutes
while the queue flushed :)

my home mail server processes about 5,000 messages/week at the moment,
most of it to my account.

I'd highly reccomend raid 10 over raid 5 anyday of course!

nate