Re: Mail server

Russell Coker wrote:

I have been considering modifying the Qmail and maildrop code to not use fsync() etc to allow more users per server (yes I know about the reliability issues, but there are lots of more important things to worry about).

Are you using mboxes under /var/spool/mail, or are you using Maildirs under /home?

If you're using the latter, wouldn't it be easier (and safer) to spread your home dirs across multiple hard drives (or, more appropriately, multiple RAID partitions on different disks?) Of course, IIRC, the 2650 is a 2U server, so you're limited to what you can cram into the box.

In your particular configuration, have you looked at the advantages/disadvantages of having something like two disks in RAID 1 and another 2 or more disks in another RAID set (1 or 5, depending on # of drives) with the mail spool on one RAID set and the rest of the filesystems (including /var) on the other?

Just asking because I have a similar setup to yours (one big HW RAID-5) and have been wondering if that's the best way to go.

--Rich

Rich Puhek
ETN Systems Inc.
2125 1st Ave East