Re: wine and IE

on Sat, Feb 22, 2003 at 04:20:14AM -0800, Paul Johnson (baloo@ursine.dyndns.org) wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 21, 2003 at 09:13:53AM -0500, Matthew Weier O'Phinney wrote:

> > And how many people have their browser dictated by corporate policy?
>
> How many people are allowed to use the browser for non-business
> reasons?
>
> > But I also realize that standards or not, the world is a diverse place,
> > with diverse software, old and new, and if I want people to see a site,
> > I have to accomodate them.
>
> You'd go a lot farther in accomodating them if you stuck to the
> standard, encouraged everybody else to stick to the standard.
> Webmasters (including you) are responsible for letting vendors put you
> in this (broken) situation to begin with.  Only webmasters (including
> you) can fix it.  If customers aren't able to properly render the vast
> majority of websites because thier browser can't render to the
> standard worth shit, that browser gets dumped.  Even
> corporate-dictated ones.

Moreover:  even in the corporate world, if two business needs make
conflicting browser demands, you may not be able to accomodate them
(particularly for specific versions of MSIE after 5.x).

For this and other reasons, I consider the browser user-agent string to
be harmful.  You can join the protest:

    http://twiki.iwethey.org/twiki/bin/view/Main/UserAgentString

Peace.

   Reading is a right, not a feature