Compilation of a single kernel module.

  I had to compile a single kernel module, namely isa-pnp, and did not
want or had to compile the whole kernel.
  I wonder whether the following method is good and will work for other
modules as well.

1. Get a kernel source, either from debian kernel-source package or an
   upstream mirror, and unpack it to a working space, for example /tmp.
2. cd to the kernel-source directory under the working space directory.
3. Get a kernel configuration file and then make menuconfig in order to
   change the module settings as appropriate.
4. Either make-kpkg configure for the debian kernel-source case or make
   oldconfig. make oldconfig, which should work in both cases, is
   necessary even though you make menuconfig in step 4. This is so
   because make oldconfig does much more in regarding to actually
   configuring of source. Alternatively, make-kpkg configure uses
   Debian's kernel tool and seems to be doing some work which is not
   needed in this case.
5. make SUBDIRS=drivers/pnp modules
--

    Shaul Karl, shaulka@bezeqint.n e t