Re: Hen and egg with tktable-dev

On 22 Feb 2003 17:12:27 +0100, Svenn Are Bjerkem <svenn@bjerkem.de> wrote:
> Hi,
> want to install tktable and tktable-dev and use tk8.4-dev
>
> tktable-dev need tk8.3-dev
> tk8.4-dev provide tk-dev
> tk8.3-dev conflict tk-dev
>
> So if I want tktable-dev I have to deinstall tk8.4-dev with which I want
> to develop.

You might be able to recompile tktable to use tk8.4. You'll have to
change the control file to reflect this, but my guess is it will work
Ok, even though the current package does not mention tk8.4 explicitly.

BTW, there is a 2.8 version availahle, though the most recent version
in Debian is 2.7. The project home page says for 2.8

"WHAT:   Tktable v2.8, 2D editable table/matrix widget
 WHERE:  http://tktable.sourceforge.net/
    Tktable binaries are part of ActiveTcl:
        http://www.ActiveState.com/Tcl
 REQUIREMENTS:   Tcl/Tk8.0+, compiling is required
        Compiles everywhere Tk does!"

It appears that tktable does not really depend on tk8.3. So, you
should be set. Tktable has rather modest build-depends, specifically

debhelper (>> 3.0.0), tcl8.3, tcl8.3-dev, tk8.3, tk8.3-dev, rman,
debhelper

Yes, debhelper is mentioned twice (may be a typo).

Download the source (apt-get source tktable) or whatever, change all
the 8.3 references to 8.4 in the control file and (possibly) the .dsc
file, install the build dependencies, and you should be good to go. I
recommmend getting devscripts and using "debuild binary".

You might want to pin your new tktable using apt preferences (my
preferred method) or otherwise make sure it is not upgraded by apt.

                                                         Faheem.