Re: kernel produces unresolved symbols

On Sat, Feb 22, 2003 at 10:50:20AM +0100, Roman Joost wrote:
> After the compiliation process, i copy my kernel into /boot and reboot. Last
> time i get some unresolved symbols after a depmod:
> depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.4.19/kernel/drivers/char/drm/gamma.o
> depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.4.19/kernel/net/ipsec/ipsec.o
> depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.4.19/kernel/net/irda/irda.o
>
> This kernel is made by:
> make menuconfig
> ..
> make-kpkg kernel_image
> make_kpkg modules_image
>
> I read that a good kernel is made by:
> make dep
> make bzImage etc.

wait, which are you doing, the make-kpkg way or the manual way?  make-kpkg
makes a binary .deb in /usr/src (or wherever you're keeping the source),
that you install with dpkg -i.  there's no copying of files needed.  if you
just copy the files you're likely to get symbol version mismatches...

> I would ask, what im doing wrong in these steps? Is something wrong with my
> debian way of kernel compilation?

it looks like the compilation is ok, but that it's the kernel installation
that's getting you...

	sean