Re: nslookup --- which package?

On Thu, Feb 20, 2003 at 10:56:19PM -0800, Paul Johnson wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 20, 2003 at 01:59:02PM -0600, Dave Sherohman wrote:
> > IMO, this is a real shame...  I always used host for 1-shot lookups
> > and nslookup for deeper troubleshooting or when I wanted an
> > interactive interface for some other reason.
>
> host(1) does everything that nslookup(1) did,

host does everything that nslookup does/did _on the command line_.

> > of the suggested nslookup replacements (dig and host) has this
> > functionality.
>
> Umm, host is a full replacement for nslookup.

Let's bring in the last line of my previous post preceding the text
you quoted:

> like to know whether a new interactive DNS query tool is in the works
> and, if not, why not, given that neither of the suggested nslookup
> replacements (dig and host) has this functionality.

So far as I can tell, host(1) does not have an interactive mode.
nslookup(1) does/did have an interactive mode.  Therefore, host
is not a full replacement for nslookup.

--
The freedoms that we enjoy presently are the most important victories of the
White Hats over the past several millennia, and it is vitally important that