Re: nslookup --- which package?

On Thu, Feb 20, 2003 at 02:44:19AM -0600, Gary Turner wrote:
> I have been unable to locate this utility.  The more I look, the sillier
> I feel.  Wasn't this in some util pkg?  The closest I've come is
> ptknslookup in the ptknettools pkg.  I'd prefer non X.

i seem to recall seeing that nslookup is deprecated. we're
supposed to use dig or zone or dnsquery now. (probably there's a
good reason, or maybe my other personality just made this all
up.)

	http://packages.debian.org/nslookup

indeed says there's no such package. but -- whoops -- searching
package contents (from packages.debian.org) for nslookup shows
it's in "net/dnsutils" which also provides bind. apparently,
it's still available for stable/woody, anyhow. (or my "it's
deprecated" theory is all wet, which is quite likely.)

--
I use Debian/GNU Linux version 3.0;
Linux server 2.4.20-k6 #1 Mon Jan 13 23:49:14 EST 2003 i586 unknown

DEBIAN NEWBIE TIP #19 from Dave Sherohman <esper@sherohman.org>
and Will Trillich <will@serensoft.com>
:
How do you determine WHICH NETWORK SERVICES ARE OPEN (active)?
Try "netstat -a | grep LISTEN". To see numeric values (instead
of the common names for services using a particular port) then
try "netstat -na" instead. For more info, look at "man netstat".
   Also try "lsof -i" as root. "man lsof" for details.