Re: nslookup --- which package?

On Thu, Feb 20, 2003 at 03:25:19AM -0600, Will Trillich wrote:
> i seem to recall seeing that nslookup is deprecated. we're
> supposed to use dig or zone or dnsquery now. (probably there's a
> good reason, or maybe my other personality just made this all
> up.)

It is deprecated, or at least that's the binary claims when it scolds
me for using it:

~$ nslookup
Note:  nslookup is deprecated and may be removed from future releases.
Consider using the `dig' or `host' programs instead.  Run nslookup with
the `-sil[ent]' option to prevent this message from appearing.

IMO, this is a real shame...  I always used host for 1-shot lookups
and nslookup for deeper troubleshooting or when I wanted an
interactive interface for some other reason.  So, aside from Will's
implied question regarding why it's being deprecated, I would also
like to know whether a new interactive DNS query tool is in the works
and, if not, why not, given that neither of the suggested nslookup
replacements (dig and host) has this functionality.

--
The freedoms that we enjoy presently are the most important victories of the
White Hats over the past several millennia, and it is vitally important that