Re: Explorer-type file manager

On Thu, Feb 20, 2003 at 11:08:51AM -0500, Matthew Weier O'Phinney wrote:
> -- Osamu Aoki <osamu@debian.org> wrote
> > What is kicker?
>
> kicker is the equivalent of the GNOME foot menu, or Windows Start menu,
> IIRC (I'm not a KDE user; it could also be the KDE panel itself).

It's the panel itself.  Kicker is analogous to the MacOS X Dock,
Windows taskbar, or gnome-panel.

> I think Paul meant "applets" by "proglets" -- small applications
> that can run on the panel; windowmaker (a NextSTEP-ish WM, as is
> afterstep) utilizes a "dock" and dockapps or dock proglets, which
> are very similar.

Right.  "Applets" is a misnomer, though:  "Applications" are general
aspects of computing, like word processing, spreadsheats, web
browsers, etc.  The Debian idea of what "tasks" are is identical to
what the non-marketroid definition of an application is.  Programs are
what the machine actually runs.  OpenOffice.org Writer is not an
application, it's a program; word processing is the application.  To
put it another way, applications are what you want to do with the
computer, programs are how you get it done.

> The big difference is that they're not on a bar, but rather in a special
> area on the screen that sizes itself to the number of dockapps present.

Well, the proglets can be of various sizes in the kicker/panel,
whereas dock proglets are usually fixed size 64x64 pixels.

--
 .''`.     Baloo <baloo@ursine.dyndns.org>
: :'  :    proud Debian admin and user