Re: Explorer-type file manager

On Tue, 18 Feb 2003, Paul Johnson wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 17, 2003 at 03:54:38PM -0800, Bill Moseley wrote:
> > Trying to ease the transition to Linux for the family, I'd like a
> > MS Windows-like Explorer file manager, both in look and usage.
>
> Have you taken a look at KDE or Gnome?  KDE in sid is up to 3.1 if you
> ignore the kde metapackage and rough it manually.

Well, the goal was to not switch window managers.  I wonder how hosed my
system will be if I try to get kde from sid installed in my
testing/unstable machine.

I frankly do not fully understand the difference between something like a
small window manager like IceWM or Blackbox and KDE or Gnome.  When I had
KDE installed before it seemed like there was a lot of processes running.
And I remember it was a bit of work just to get Kmail installed as it had
a bunch of dependencies that, IIRC, were not solved just by apt-get
install.

> I'm also liking how easy it is to enable anti-aliasing.  I now have
> sub-pixel anti-aliasing and my text is now absurdly sharp and easy to
> read.

That's cool.  I spent months screwing with my fonts.  I finally disabled
anti-aliasing for smaller font sizes because they looked too fuzzy to me.
I'm still not sure if that's just personal opinion, or if my config was
bad, or had sub-pixel set wrong, or bad video card or aging monitor (Sony
G500 21"), or what.

It was also a pain because my system seems to be a mix of xft and xft2 so
I was messing with both XftConfig and fonts.conf.

--
Bill Moseley moseley@hank.org