recompiling php4

I've got php4 (4.2.3) installed with apt-get, however I need to use the pspell
functions, and therefore need to add the --with-pspell option to the
configuration. That means I need to recompile php4. I'm a bit unclear on the
steps to do that since we're dealing with a package and I can't just download
the regular source from php.net and install that. I don't want the package
dependencies to break.

Here's what I've done so far, but I'm not sure I'm on the right track.

I did apt-get source --download php4 to download the package source.

I found the rules file in the /debian directory and edited it to add the pspell
option.

I did apt-get source -b php4 to build the package. However, it fails because it
gives me a long list of dependencies that are missing. I thought apt downloads
dependencies for a package automatically? Why didn't it do that here?

I've tried getting those dependencies independently with apt-get, however some
don't seem to be available anymore. I'm starting to wonder if I missed some step
along the way?

Sorry, I'm a newbie to dealing with these packages.

Thanks,
Paula
---