problem with apt-get update- E: Dynamic MMap ran out of room

While trying to run apt-get update or dselect I get the error

E: Dynamic MMap ran out of room

I've created the file /etc/apt/apt.conf with contents APT::Cache-Limit 25165824, and I've reduced my sources.list to only one entry, deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian stable main, and this hasn't solved the problem.

I only have 8MB of RAM and about 28MB swap space.. could this be part of the problem? If anyone has a suggestion or knows where I can get help I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,