Re: Open Office 1.0.2 formats differently on different OSes

Gianfranco Berardi <linuxmail@gbgames.com> writes:

> Has anyone else had problems where Open Office for Windows and Open
> Office for Linux render the same file differently?

You should probably report this to the OO.org people, since I think
they're the only ones who will be able to do something about it.  My
bet is that your font metrics are different, causing different layout.

The first thing to try would be to make sure you're really using the
same font on both machines.  If you're using Arial on one, but OOo is
subbing in Helvetica on another, for instance, it could cause this
problem.  But that's probably not the case.

I believe Windows still changes the font metrics based on the printer
driver.  This is supposed to be an optimization to make things look
better on low-res printers (from way back when...) but it causes the
exact problems you describe (and has frustrated Windows users for
years).  I believe there is some way for application developers to
avoid this problem, but I don't know how OOo does font metrics, so I
don't know that this is the problem.

I'd probably suggest contacting an OOo list... there are probably
people there who use OOo on both Linux and Windows and can offer you
suggestions, or might be able to see what's wrong.

Looking for a developer in St. Louis? http://web.springies.com/~ats/
Version Rule: Version 1.0 was smaller and faster.