Re: can anyone recomend an application ??? ...

Levi Waldron <levi.waldron@utoronto.ca> writes:

> On February 19, 2003 12:22 pm, DvB wrote:
> > I usually set up cron jobs to remind me of recurring things (man
> > crontab). This, of course, only works if the computer is turned on when
> > the reminder time comes around, but you just mentioned "being logged
> > on."
>
> apt-get install anachron
>
> the anachron daemon tries to make sure you don't miss cron jobs on machines
> that aren't on all the time.  Sounds like not quite what Dave is looking for
> though.  I like the sounds of the birthday app!

Problem with the birthday app (for me, anyway) is that it only appears
to give reminders when you log in, which I rarely do. I usually leave my
computer running until there's a power outage or I move:

$ uptime
 14:34:32 up 164 days,  2:48,  5 users,  load average: 0.29, 0.44, 0.43

XFree was also running most of that time, except when I switched to
Gnome from Enlightenment :-)