Re: can anyone recomend an application ??? ...

on Wed, 19 Feb 2003 02:36:29PM -0600, DvB insinuated:
> Levi Waldron <levi.waldron@utoronto.ca> writes:
> > On February 19, 2003 12:22 pm, DvB wrote:
[...]
> > I like the sounds of the birthday app!
>
> Problem with the birthday app (for me, anyway) is that it only
> appears to give reminders when you log in, which I rarely do. I
> usually leave my computer running until there's a power outage or I
> move:
>
> $ uptime 14:34:32 up 164 days,  2:48,  5 users,  load average: 0.29,
> 0.44, 0.43

right, so do i (that is, when it will boot at all).  difference is, i
do a lot of remote logins, so i see it all the time.  but my point
was, you can customize it for your usage.  you could have a cron job:

0 12 */1 * * if [ birthday ]; then birthday | mutt <yourname> -i - -s
birthday

so if there's any output from the birthday program, it will be sent to
you every day at high noon.

this is why i love linux, and why i switched -- the ability to do make
your computer do whatever you want it to, and however you want it to
do it.  :)

hth,

</nori>

--