Re: VMWare package

On Mon, Feb 17, 2003 at 10:55:58PM -0900, Andy wrote:
> I have a Debian 3.0 install with the 2.4.18-bf2.4 kernel and I just did an
> apt-get install kernel-headers-2.4.18-bf2.4 then did an ln -s to make:
> linux -> kernel-headers-2.4.18-bf2.4
> So I tell the vmware script that my kernel headers are in
> /usr/src/linux/include    Is that right?

That sounds OK to me.

> This is where I am clueless.  Vmware install script says this:
> ------------------------
> Setup is unable to find the "make" program on your machine.  Please make sure
> it is installed.  Do you want to specify the location of this program by
> hand?  [yes]
> What is the location of the "make" program on your machine?

You need to install the "make" package.  It's (typically) used to
direct the compilation (which files should be compiled, in what order,
etc.).

> Here is my embarassing failure:
>
> Building the vmmon module.
> gcc: auto-build: No such file or directory
> gcc: HEADER_DIR=/usr/src/linux/include: No such file or directory
> gcc: CC=/usr/bin/gcc: No such file or directory
> gcc: GREP=grep: No such file or directory
> Unable to build the vmmon module.

I'd guess that most of that is a side-effect of make being unavailable.
I'm pretty sure that grep would be present, at the very least. ;-)