Re: VMWare package

On Mon, Feb 17, 2003 at 08:52:29AM -0900, Andy wrote:

> Can you give us more detail?  I can't get VMWare to work on Debian woody.

I posted problems on debian-user getting VMWare running last year,
received a reply and was successful with the following. Have not
upgraded kernel version or vmware version since.

> Upgraded unstable around 27/28 March and made other changes.
>
> Running kernel 2.4.17 (SMP) and VMWare 3.0.0 since December
> 2001.
>
> All VMWare Guest OS's (Win98, Debian GNU/Linux and WinNT) fail
> on
> boot up.
>
> VMWare log file contains :
> VMware PANIC: (ide0:0) NOT_IMPLEMENTED F(831):688
> VMware PANIC: (VMX) AIO: NOT_IMPLEMENTED F(831):688
>
> Problem has been logged and acknowledged with VMware
>
> Running VMWare (for corporate apps) successfully on this Debian
> machine for past two and a half years.
>
> Does anyone know what AIO is and how it can be disabled? Is it
> part of packages (e.g IDE) recently updated?

Try the patch for vmware at:

ftp://platan.vc.cvut.cz/pub/vmware/vmware-ws-1455-update12.tar.gz

I patched prior to apt-get upgrading a few weeks ago, and it
works works fine. I understand that it fixes some, if not all,
the problems with VMWare and Debian sid right now.

I'm also using kernel 2.4.17, but not SMP, and VMWare 3.0.

bash-2.05b$