Re: VMWare package

Basically I just unpacked the tarball for VMware Workstation 3.2, and
ran the ./vmware-install.pl script.  When it prompted, I selected
/opt/vmware as the installation path, and /usr/src/linux/include as the
location of my kernel headers... the latter being a symlink to the real
location.  There are 2 potential "gotchas" that I'm aware of...

1) The kernel headers need to *exactly* match your running kernel.  If
your using a distribution kernel, there should be a matching
kernel-headers-* package that you can install.  If you compile your
own, be sure to hang onto the headers after building.  The easiest way
to do this is to use make-kpkg, and have it generate a kernel-headers
package for you.

2) The VMware modules must be built using the same GCC version as the
kernel.  In practice, this probably only affects unstable at the
moment, due to the GCC 3.2 transition.