Re: Certification

Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2003 03:35:04 +0000
From: "Karsten M. Self" <kmself@ix.netcom.com>

on Fri, Feb 14, 2003 at 11:04:33AM -0500, Mike M
(linux-support@earthlink.net) wrote:
>> Certification is for PHBs only.  Right?  Is there any evidence other than
>> marketing blather that certification is a worthwhile endeavor?

[snip]
> The job of the HR department and/or the coporate recruiter is to
> eliminate resumes.  If they're worth their salt, they're lopping off the
> bad ones.  Most of 'em do a half-decent job of it.  Which is to say, not
> great, but you really *can* cut a lot of chaff just by eliminating
> spelling errors and grossly mistargeted resumes.
[snip]

Having done my share of hiring & firing, I can testify that spelling
errors & the like do get resumes kill-filed fast.

The reasoning:  Surely Applicant is trying to look good, but he's effed
up anyway.  Think what he's like when on the job & less concerned about
appearances.

Into the outer darkness it goes.

Hmmmmmmm.  If I were hiring nowadays, I'd search mailing-list
archives for posts by applicants who made the final list.  And I'd
award demerits, too, for apostrophe's, speling, & similar signs of
abusing everyday tools.

Oh, you don't like that?  Believe me, resume rejectors have worse
reasons.