Can't print from woody: HPDJ 670C, gs 6.53-3, magicfilter 1.2-53

Greetings, all.

I'm having serious trouble printing postscript files from my Woody
system.  I've got a HPDJ 670c, and I'm running gs 6.53-3 and magicfilter
1.2-53.  (This, of course, applies to printing anything that goes
through PostScript, like PDF.)  I'm using lprng 3.8.10-1.

The actual behavior varies somewhat: at best, I'll get one or two lines
of good output, then the printer starts making these *horrible* noises,
like it's trying to move the print head way off the end of the track and
stripping the motor in the process, then spit out the page.  It'll suck
in a new page, then either spit it out blank or spit it out with two or
three lines of gibberish on it.  Repeat until I yank the power cord
(hitting the power button doesn't help; the printer gets seriously
wedged.)

Printing ASCII works fine, as does printing PostScript & PDF from
Windows.

/etc/printcap (generated by magicfilterconfig):

lp|hpdj670c-m|HP DeskJet 670C (mono):\
	:lp=/dev/lp0:sd=/var/spool/lpd/hpdj670c-m:\
	:sh:pw#80:pl#66:px#1440:mx#0:\
	:if=/etc/magicfilter/dj670c-filter:\
	:af=/var/log/lp-acct:lf=/var/log/lp-errs:

/etc/magicfilter/dj670c-filter is as installed by the magicfilter
package.

To print, I'm using the command

dvips -Phpdj670c-m specs.dvi

The relevant dvips configuration file follows:

M hpdj
D 2602
X 2602
Y 2602
o |lpr -Phpdj670c-m
O 0in,1.54cm

I've also tried gs-aladdin, and lpr 2000.05.07-4.2.  Neither helps.

This used to work, several months ago.  I don't keep very careful
records of what I change on my system, though, so I can't say exactly
what broke it.  (I was running testing, though, when I first noticed the
problem.  I downgraded to stable a while back, in an attempt to fix
this and also some truetype font issues.  This is the first time I've
tried printing since the downgrade.)

Any suggestions would be very welcome.

Thanks,

Richard