Re: Setting progs at a runlevel

Jeff Elkins wrote:
> As a RH refugee, I'm used to running the 'setup' program to enable/disable
> program startups at runtime. For Debian, am I correct in cd'ing to the
> /etc/rcX.d dir and moving SXXprogram to KXXprogram to disable it?

Every Redhat user asks about chkconfig.  Having used Redhat myself I
always needed to edit the init.d script, set the run level, save, run
chkconfig to create the symlinks, then invoke the script when
installing a new package.  But on Debian none of that is needed.  Not
needing to run chkconfig has left many people stymied.  How do you
install the symlinks?  You don't need to because by default they are
installed automatically.

Your question is different because you are asking how do you prevent
the service from running.  In your case you apparently installed
something and then wanted to turn it off.  Instead of removing the
symlinks I would just remove the package.  If you don't want it to run
then why have it around?  What package did you install that you now
don't want to run?  Just remove it.

  apt-get remove package

I have asked this question many times and so far no one has ever
supplied an answer.  Why remove the symlinks instead of just removing
the package?

Bob