Re: Setting progs at a runlevel

Hi,

Regarding symlinks in /etc/rcN.d

* Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com> [030218 14:31]:
<snip>
> I have asked this question many times and so far no one has ever
> supplied an answer.  Why remove the symlinks instead of just removing
> the package?

Here's an answer.

One reason is that a simple way to quickly change the role of a
machine is to change it's run level. For example you might have a
small network of Debian boxen, and one of them is a web server. What if
that machine dies? You want your web server back right? Obvious thing
to do is start providing that service from one of your other boxen.
This can be really easily done if you have apache installed and
configured on more than one the machines, but not actually running.
Just switch runlevels on one of the surviving machines and wammo, you
have a web server again.

The above is just a trivial example (and it over simplifies), but it
illustrates how this method could be used for a bunch of different
configurations all simply based on runlevels.

Cheers,

Nick.

--
Debian testing/unstable
Linux onefish 2.4.20-lavienx #1 Mon Jan 6 17:03:01 JST 2003