Re: The myth of aptitude simplicity

On Sun, Feb 16, 2003 at 09:36:21AM -0500, Michael P. Soulier wrote:
> On 16/02/03 Brian Nelson did speaketh:
>
> > What if you want to honor a package's "Recommends" field with apt-get?
> > That'll take some extra effort that isn't necessary with aptitude.  Or
> > what if you want to automatically remove the dependencies a package
> > pulled in when you delete that package?  Pretty tricky to do with
> > apt-get.  Also, apt-get cannot provide user interaction to resolve a
> > tricky conflict and instead will just give up, leaving the user confused
> > as to what went wrong.
>
>     Unfortunately I find the interface to aptitude so mystifying that it
> leaves me confused as to how to use it.

It always seemed kinda logical...A tree of trees, with the packages as
leaves.  Hit enter on a package to see more detail about it; you can see
it's dependencies (and modify them), see which versions are available
and select them, etc, etc...Sure beats dselect, at least :)

--
Rob Weir <rweir@ertius.org>				http://ertius.org/